Portugal D7 Visa is a visa type that provides residency in Portugal. It’s also known as the Retirement Visa or the Passive Income Visa. Since 2007, D7 Visa Portugal has provided residency for the applicants and their family members.
It’s possible to apply for Portugal D7 if you:
- Are a citizen outside of the EU, EEA, and Switzerland, and
- Have a regular income.
Regular income includes income from transferable equity, pension, and real estate.
Interested enough? Then let’s get you to know about the details.
To be eligible, your yearly income must be at least €8,460. You can still work in Portugal after getting Portugal D7 Visa. In addition, your family members can also get their visas after you.
You can travel in the Schengen area without any visa requirement through D7 Visa.
Application for this visa is possible at a Portuguese consulate.
Details about the application process are as follows.
- The very first step is to get a NIF number which is your Portuguese tax number. Then, create a bank account in Portugal. Both steps can be done through a power of attorney as well.
- You need to indicate accommodation while applying for Portugal D7 Visa. To do this, you can buy or rent property in Portugal.
- After these steps, you’ll arrange an appointment in a Portuguese consulate, then, you’ll need to prepare some documents.
- Now is the time to go to Portugal. You need to enter the country with your D7 Visa. It first allows you to enter Portugal a maximum of two times. It also lets you to stay in Portugal for a maximum of four months. You need to apply for a residence permit during this time though. You’ll prepare the necessary documents for this.
You may wonder exactly how Portugal D7 Visa benefits you. You’ll find the answer in the section below.
D7 Visa Portugal is a great opportunity for you that makes permanent residency and citizenship possible. It also paves the way to benefit from some tax breaks.
Portugal D7 Visa offers a one-year residency first. You can renew it every two years. Finally, you may apply for permanent residency after five years.
When this five-year period is over, you can apply for citizenship as well. It requires you to pass a Portuguese language test, however.
Besides the benefits above, you can have access to the national healthcare and education service in Portugal. You can also conduct a professional activity, too. You can benefit from the Portuguese legal system as well.
Portugal’s NHR (Non-Habitual Resident) program offers some tax breaks for non-regular tax residents. In this way, you’ll be exempt from taxes on most of your foreign income.
So, your D7 Visa provides you with residency, and this residency can lead to tax benefits like NHR.
It’s possible for your immediate family members to get Portugal D7 Visa. You’ll request this right in the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF).
So, the eligible dependent family members are:
- Your spouse/partner
- Your children under 18 years old. Or, your and/or your spouse’s/partner’s disabled children. Children over 18 years of age but single students can also be included
- Dependent parents of both you and your spouse/partner
- You minor siblings.
If you ask what Portugal D7 Visa requirements are, here is the answer:
- Being a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen
- Having a clean criminal record
- Being able to prove a residence address in Portugal
- Having the necessary funds to maintain yourself in Portugal
- Being able to spend at least 16 months in Portugal in the first 2-year period.
For the subsequent three years, you must spend 28 months in Portugal. If you’ve been absent for six successive months, your residence permit may be invalidated.
The application fee for Portugal D7 Visa is quite small. For each applicant, it costs from €50 to €300.
Besides this, you also need to consider the professional fees if you consult a professional, which is highly advised. In addition, relocation expenses and the property arrangement (rent/purchase) are other expenses.
So, D7 Visa is a great opportunity if you consider relocating to a European country in a smooth way. Apply today and get prepared for a great journey.