There’s no denying that home ownership comes with a laundry list of responsibilities. You’re not only responsible for making sure the bills are paid, but you must also ensure the property remains safe and intact. This, of course, means completing household chores and tasks. Some of these items are easier to remember than others because they’re basic or in your face, but others seem to be pushed to the side and forgotten – until disaster strikes.
Here’s a look at some of the maintenance tasks that are commonly overlooked. If you’re missing any of these, it’s probably a good idea to get to them or hire an expert who can before it causes serious issues in your home – and to your budget.
- Cleaning Gutters – Your gutter system serves a significant purpose in the structure and foundation of your home. It collects rainwater and carefully routes them away from the house to prevent flooding, roof damage, or foundation issues. Throughout the year, however, debris can build up in the gutters making it difficult for water to travel away from the house.
- Clear Dryer Vents – Most homeowners remember to clear the lint from the trap inside the dryer after completing a load, but that’s not the only lint trap that needs to be checked. There is an exterior vent where lint collects. If it is not cleaned at least once or twice a year, this collection of lint is easily flammable and can start a house fire.
- Replace HVAC Filters – HVAC systems are effective in maintaining the temperature throughout the house. Periodically, you’ll need to have the system serviced by a contractor to ensure it’s efficiency. However, there are basic tasks that homeowners can complete on their own, but often forget – like replacing filters. Clogged filters cause the system to work harder, releases allergens into the air, and increases the energy bill which is why they should be replaced at least once a month.
- Roof Maintenance – The roof is another structure of the house that is often neglected. Yet the roof is responsible for providing coverage from all elements of weather. If there are missing or damaged shingles that aren’t being replaced, it could result in leaks, mould, and water damage. You should hire a roofing contractor and have your roof inspected at least twice a year for any damage.
- Fridge Coils – Were you aware that your refrigerator was in need of routine maintenance? Most homeowners aren’t. However, just as with any other appliance in your home, your fridge needs to be kept up to maintain it’s efficiency. An important task is cleaning the coils. As dust collects on those coils it causes the fridge to have work ten times harder driving up your energy bill and resulting in unnecessary but expensive refrigerator repairs.
- Water Heater – You love being able to have hot water for taking showers, cooking, etc? Well, unless you’d like to end up replacing your hot water heater a lot sooner, it’s a good idea to make sure that you drain it. Things like sand, sediment, minerals, and grit collect at the bottom of the water heater causing it to function less efficiently. You should have it flushed at least once a year.
Yes, there are a lot of responsibilities that come with the role of being a homeowner, but it doesn’t have to be challenging. You can prevent a lot of expensive and dangerous mishaps in and around your house by simply tending to the regular maintenance and minor repairs that are needed in a timely fashion. Create a detailed checklist and ensure to have reliable contractors on standby to ensure that the integrity and structure of your home stay intact.