The bedroom is the most sacrosanct room in the house. It is where our day begins and ends; where we go to relax, rejuvenate and de-stress; where we leave our work and worries behind. So it is a very personal space and thus can be furnished according to your fancy – unlike the lounge, living area or kitchen it does not necessarily have to be practical or ‘match’ the tone of the house. The bedroom is your space and there are a range of options to furnish and decorate it.
What are the main pieces of bedroom furniture you need?
Planning and budgeting for a bedroom will be a lot easier once you know what pieces of bedroom furniture you need, and then, depending on your space and budget, what extras you want.
- To begin with, a bed: There are a number of choices here, both in size and style. Single, double, queen-size, king-size or a child’s bed or bunk bed if you’re looking to decorate a child’s room. With under-bed-storage or pull-out drawers or without. Metal frame or wooden. Leather or fabric. If you’ve got the extra budget and want a cool feature in your bedroom, then a TV bed is a great option.
- Bedside tables: Not a necessity, but something that’s extremely practical and useful. Depending on the space, you can have one on either side or choose to put it on just one side. A bedside table with drawers extends your storage space so that’s a smarter option.
- Wardrobes: Unless you have a walk-in closet, you will need wardrobes in your bedroom. Again, you can spend a good amount on a customised, built-in wardrobe or you can choose from the many designs available in a bedroom showroom or catalogue.
- Things such as a chest of drawers, a dressing table and a blanket box are not essential, but again, are pieces of furniture that you could add to your bedroom to make it look complete and more practical.
- If you have the extra room and finances, there are more pieces of furniture you can add to give your bedroom a more sophisticated look, relaxed feel and personalised touch. A stylish ottoman or a bedroom sofa, a plush rug, a large stand-alone bedroom mirror or a valet stand can add that chic element to your bedroom.
- And last but not the least, it’s the finer details that add the perfect finishing touches. Bedding, bed cushions, curtains or blinds, decorative items and perhaps a painting that completes the look.
Budgeting for a Bedroom…
Now that we’ve explored the range of bedroom furniture available – in various hues, materials and designs- how can we estimate the cost of furnishing a bedroom? What kind of furniture you choose for your bedroom depends on three factors: your budget, bedroom size and personal choices and taste. Let’s look at these factors in more detail.
The type of furniture and number of items you furnish your bedroom with will, to a large extent, depend on how much you wish to spend on them. For instance, you could get a sizeable, standard double, comfortable bed or you could opt for a kingsize, top-of-the-line, bed-with-in-built TV and plush velvet headboard – it really depends on your budget. Things to keep in mind when you are looking to purchase a bed is the additional cost of the mattress as well the extras such as a mattress protector.
For those looking to save some money, a good option is to go for a bedroom furniture set (which usually includes a wardrobe, chest of drawers and a bedside table). Not only does purchasing a set usually turn out more economical, it also saves you the time and effort of looking for matching pieces of furniture that fit in well together (unless, of course, you want a kitsch look).
The size of your bedroom
You may like the sprawling bed with the massive headboard and the three-door sliding wardrobe, but what if that leaves no room for anything else in your bedroom? On the other hand, you will need more pieces of furniture or at least bigger items if you have a huge room to fill. It’s imperative to keep the size of your room in mind when furnishing your bedroom, which will also directly influence your costs.
Your personal taste
And last but certainly not the least, your personal taste and likes will influence your costs as well. If you want a more stylish feel and look to your bedroom, you would need more expensive furniture and furnishings.
In conclusion, keep all the above factors in mind and then let the world of bedroom furniture be your oyster, for there really is something available for every budget, room size and personal taste!