NCERT books are considered the god of all books. NCERT books help you to understand the basics clearly. Since NCERTs are written in easy language, you won’t find it difficult to understand the concepts. NCERT books will make you give you knowledge of the fundamentals. This will help you in answering the various questions which will be asked in exams. Since NCERT has a vast syllabus to complete, you stay focused and attentive. NCERTs are extremely important as board questions are picked from these books only. So, NCERTs are just enough to score 90% in board exams.
Below are the tips on how to make the best use of NCERT books to score 90% in board exams.
- CBSE based: NCERT books are completely made based on the latest CBSE curriculum. Due to this, you will be able to find every topic and question based on the latest exam structure and syllabus.So, don’t get confused in selecting various study materials, etc. Just stick to NCERT books. They help in saving your time.
- How to read NCERT: All the concepts are covered in the NCERTs books. Don’t miss any chapter. Every topic is extremely important. Reading is not just enough. Divide the chapters based on their marks’ weightage. First, start reading the most important chapters and then move to the least important chapters. Among these chapters only, complete the ones which are easy to finish in less time. Read the chapters line by line thoroughly with full concentration. Highlight important statements. Practice derivations. Read each topic thoroughly with full concentration. Along with that, understand the meaning and significance of each line you read. When you get confused or have doubts, you must clear them immediately.
- Make a proper plan: Choose 2-3 subjects every day and set a target to complete the topics within a time limit. Don’t study the same subject at a pace. It makes you feel bored and tired. Study with full concentration. Take a day off from studying every week and write a mock test for the topics you have covered in that particular week. Don’t waste your precious time on social media.
- Write notes: Make chapter-wise notes in your own words after understanding each topic. After reading each chapter, make 3-4 pages notes. Make mind maps as they will help you to understand the concepts easily. Don’t make notes when you are reading the lesson for the first time because you may not understand all the dynamics. Make notes when you are revising it for the second or third time because you will have conceptual clarity by that time. Also, as you have read earlier, you will get to know which points are important. So you’ll have to choose important keywords, phrases, facts, formulas, and definitions. These notes will help you to revise before the examination in less time.
- NCERT questions and exemplar problems: NCERT books offer so many questions which are crucial for exams. Solve all the questions given at the end of each lesson. Solve every problem which is there in the middle of the book. Practice solving these questions at least twice. First, solve these questions on your own. If you can answer these questions, it means that you have read it and you have understood the concept. If you get doubts, you can access free NCERT solutions which provide answers to all the questions. These answers are provided by the top experts and trainers. These solutions will guide you on how to write answers in your exam. In addition, it will help you to familiarize yourself with various types of questions that might be asked in the exam.
- Diagrams: You have often observed in your NCERT books that there are diagrams associated with the text. Diagrams help you to understand the concept in an easy way. Go through those diagrams carefully. Understand every detail on the diagram and learn all the labels. It would be best to practice drawing diagrams as they are important because the CBSE board exam asks questions from diagrams and labels.
- Examples: Every concept provides you with examples. It not only makes you understand a concept but also they are a shortcut to the short questions. Providing examples in the exams helps you to gain extra marks. So make sure you read all the examples that you go through in NCERT and underline them.
- Snippets and boxes: You can find colored boxes with information like (Did You Know?) in different corners of the NCERT book. Do not skip the “did you know” box. Make sure you read because CBSE board exams do ask questions from this too. So, make sure that you never skip anything from the NCERT books.
- Take Break: After finishing each important topic, take a short duration of the break. Doing meditation will help you to increase your concentration levels.
- Revision: The best way to score really good marks is to revise at least 2 times before your exams. Reread the topics frequently. So that you don’t have to memorize anything and stay in your mind for a longer period.
- Practice writing answers: After reading each lesson and solving all the questions, we recommend you create questions on your own and write answers. Writing answers will help you to improve your answer writing skills and also will improve your handwriting. Reading loudly and writing will help you to learn fast and remember easily.
- Practice previous years’ papers: After studying and revising, you must solve the previous years’ papers and sample papers. It will let you know how thoroughly you have prepared the NCERT books. It will make you know in which areas and concepts you must improve. Concentrate on those concepts and give attention.
These are some helpful tips that you must follow to have an effective reading of the NCERT books.