Our outdoor living spaces are more important to us than ever now that public spaces are still not fully accessible. Every homeowner is either expanding or renovating their backyards, patios, and balconies. Many homeowners are also buying outdoor furniture items to complement these upgrades.
In a recent study, 82% of homeowners claimed that they want to update their outdoor living spaces. If you’re one of them, good. Spending time in backyards or patios is far better than staying isolated indoors. However, the outdoor furniture items that you buy may come with some surprising health risks.
Why Your Outdoor Furniture Cushions Need Protection?
Outdoor furniture cushions are must-buy items if you’re buying outdoor furniture sets. They enable us to freely enjoy our backyard chairs or patio sofas.
- Sitting on furniture items without any cushions feels very uncomfortable.
- Warm cushions help homeowners enjoy their outdoor spaces, even during the winter months.
- Outdoor furniture cushions make outdoor backyard spaces more functional by creating a pleasant and comfortable environment for everybody.
However, outdoor cushions can also pose several health risks to homeowners. These cushions stay exposed to their surrounding environment all day. During this period, they accumulate dust, microscopic insects, bacteria, and other types of undesirable germs. These cushions also experience all types of weather damage.
The wind blows extra dust and other microscopic germs inside your outdoor cushions. Sunlight damages the fabrics of your outdoor cushions. Lastly, water particles may enter your cushions and cause them to become breeding grounds for pests and bacteria. Thankfully, homeowners can easily address these issues by buying a high-quality cushion cover.
How Can Covers Protect Your Outdoor Furniture Cushions?
Cushion and pillow covers protect your outdoor furniture cushions from all types of external threats.
- These covers are typically made of chemically treated, synthetic fabrics. Fabrics like polyester are naturally water repellent. They don’t allow moisture particles to enter the cushion. Hence, the interior fabrics of the cushions remain dry and clean at all times. Homeowners can easily avoid the risk of mold or mildew growing inside their outdoor furniture cushions by getting polyester covers.
- Polyester cushion and pillow covers are also UV resistant. Polyester fabric doesn’t allow harsh UV rays from the sun to come in contact with your cushions. Your cushions remain fresh and fluffy, even if you leave them exposed to direct sunlight for long periods.
- These covers are machine washable. Unlike the cushions themselves, washing and drying these covers only takes a couple of hours. Hence, homeowners can clean their outdoor cushion covers every day and get rid of all the dust and dirt.
- The cushion covers act as extra defense layers against microscopic insects like bed bugs and fleas. These insects can pose serious health issues for daily users of the cushions.
In this era of social distancing, enjoying your outdoor living spaces is very important. But, homeowners must do so in the healthiest way possible. Cushion and pillow covers help homeowners keep their outdoor furniture cushions clean and ready for use at all times.